Mutton Rogan Josh
Cooks in Serves 2-3
- Mutton,cut into 1½ inch pieces 500 grams
- Mustard Oil 4 tablespoons
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida/Hing
- 2 one-inch sticks Cinnamon/ Cassia Bark
- 6-8 Cloves
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 medium red onion
- 4-6 inch piece Root ginger
- 8 Garlic cloves
- 5-6 Black peppercorns
- 4 Black cardamoms
- Kashmiri red chilli powder 1 tablespoon ( soak 3 Kashmiri chilies and make a paste along with the fennel seeds)
- 2 teaspoons fennel powder
- 1 tablespoon Dry ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup whisked Yogurt
- Make a paste of onion, garlic and ginger.
- Heat oil in a thick-bottomed pan.
- Add asafoetida, cinnamon, cloves, black peppercorns and black cardamoms.
- Sauté till fragrant.
- Add the onion and ginger-garlic paste. Stir fry.
- Add lamb pieces and cook on medium heat, stirring constantly till lamb pieces turn a nice reddish brown color.
- This may take twelve to fifteen minutes. Make sure to stir constantly and scrape all the sediments from the bottom of the pan, so that the meat doesn\'t get stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle a little water and continue cooking for twelve to fifteen minutes more on low heat.
- Add Kashmiri red chilli powder, fennel powder, dry ginger powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Add whipped yogurt and two cups of water.
- Cook, covered, till lamb is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Slow cook the lamb, checking for the doneness from time to time.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot.