Mini Apple Pie
Cooks in Serves 4
- For the crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoon ice cold water
- For the filling:
- 2 green apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ cup raisins (optional)
- Mix the flour and the sugar until the mixture has a sandy texture. Add the butter cubes and mix well till it resembles bread crumbs. The butter pieces shouldn’t be more than the size of peas.
- Pour in the ice cold water and knead it to make a dough. Cover with a cling film and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour, you can keep it upto 24 hours. Do not freeze.
- Take out the dough, make 8 small balls. In a floured board roll out 4 of these balls into quarter inch thick circles and place it on the tart pans. Press the sides so that the dough sticks to the side of the pan.
- Mix the fillings together and distribute it among the tart pans. Preheat the oven to 425F
- Roll out each of the other 4 balls one by one, and cut thin strips. Carefully Place the strips on top of the fillings like a lattice.
- Place the tart pans in the oven and bake for 15-20mins till the top crust changes color to golden brown. Lower the oven temperature to 375F and bake for about 10mins more or until the filling starts bubbling.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream and whipped cream.