Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Cooks in Serves 4
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 1 medium onion made to paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup poppy seed paste
- 3 tablespoon cashew paste
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Handful of soaked raisins (optional)
- Wash the potatoes and boil with peeling the skin for 7 to 10 minutes or till they are almost cooked.
- Drain the water and let them come to a temperature where you can touch. Peel the potatoes. Sprinle a pinch of turmeric and salt
- Heat half the oil in a thick bottom vessel and lightly fry the potatoes till there are a few blisters on them.
- Take out, and keep over a kitchen towel to drain the excess oil
- Pour in the extra oil and heat. Add the onion paste and fry till the onion is fragrant and oil starts separating. Add all the powdered spices, ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute. Add the potatoes and toss well to coat the spices. Season with salt.
- Cook while stirring in between till the spices change to a darker color. Pour water and cook till the potatoes are almost done.
- Add the poppy and cashew paste and cook for 4 to 5 minutes more. Sprinkle the ground garam masala and the raisins if using. Serve hot with chapati or white rice.