Cooks in Serves 4
- 2 cups whole fat milk
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup refined sugar
- Fruits of choice – banana, berries, apple, oranges
- Heat the milk to boiling in a saucepan and then lower the flame. Reduce it to half the volume. Pour in the sugar and stir and continue simmering
- In the meantime, take the egg yolks in a bowl, whisk till they become pale. If you are using an electric beater, use it at low for 1min, if you are using a balloon whisk; just beat it for 2-3 minutes.
- Continue whisking and pour in the vanilla essence and all-purpose flour, make sure there aren’t any lumps.
- Pour in the hot milk and whisk lightly. Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and simmer while stirring. Continue stirring so that no lumps are formed. Simmer for 2-3 minutes more. Take out of flame and let cool
- Chop the fruits to bite size pieces. Keep the chopped apple and banana, if using immersed in water so that they don’t turn black
- Pour about a ladle of custard in small serving glasses, layer with fruits and pour another ladle of custard. Chill in the fridge for about 1 hour and serve topped with cherries.