Fan us on Facebook . You can also Subscribe to BengaliCuisine by Email
How will you define friendship? The first friend with whom you went to kindergarten; crying all the way because it was the first day without parents around. The school friends, who made you those naughty deeds, and of course that includes eating phuchka after school. The college friends with whom you bunked your first classes to get a mug of beer. And, then came the one friend with whom you are sharing your life.
Friends come and go, but some stay for a lifetime. So, Happy Friendship Day to all those friends who have touched my life in one way or the other.
On this very special day, here’s a little dessert to cheer up. Though a very popular dish in America; apple pie was probably brought to this country by the English colonists. It is a sweet tart filled mainly with apples, but sometimes with spices like ground cinnamon, and dried fruits like raisins and figs. This recipe is so old that in the traditional English pie recipes there was no sugar used. It was probably because sugar was an expensive item at that time.
The pie generally has a pastry bottom crust with a covered top or sometimes a pastry lattice woven top crust. The pastry lattice top is more common in USA, but the Swedish apple pie resembles more like an apple crumble with the apples lined on a baking tray and covered with the pastry crust.
Mini Apple Pie
- For the crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoon ice cold water
- For the filling:
- 2 green apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ cup raisins (optional)
- Mix the flour and the sugar until the mixture has a sandy texture. Add the butter cubes and mix well till it resembles bread crumbs. The butter pieces shouldn’t be more than the size of peas.
- Pour in the ice cold water and knead it to make a dough. Cover with a cling film and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour, you can keep it upto 24 hours. Do not freeze.
- Take out the dough, make 8 small balls. In a floured board roll out 4 of these balls into quarter inch thick circles and place it on the tart pans. Press the sides so that the dough sticks to the side of the pan.
- Mix the fillings together and distribute it among the tart pans. Preheat the oven to 425F
- Roll out each of the other 4 balls one by one, and cut thin strips. Carefully Place the strips on top of the fillings like a lattice.
- Place the tart pans in the oven and bake for 15-20mins till the top crust changes color to golden brown. Lower the oven temperature to 375F and bake for about 10mins more or until the filling starts bubbling.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream and whipped cream.
These mini apple pies goes to the Taste of the Tropics: Cinnamon event hosted by Chef Mirelle’s Global kitchen.
If you like this post, please consider linking to it or sharing it with others. I’ll love to hear your comments too.You can also Subscribe to BengaliCuisine by Email, or Subscribe in a reader
6 thoughts on “Mini Apple Pie”
Thanks for the wonderful recipe Will try out soon
Hey Sudeshna, I made this recipe yesterday…. My husband highly appreciated it…. It was yummy…
Thanks for giving us such a easy and amazingly yummy recipe. 🙂
What better way to treat your friends right 🙂 I didn’t know sugar was not added because of price!
Even I didn’t know about it, but a little search on apple pie and its history landed me on that result.