Winter is in. As the temperature falls, sitting in your couch with a nice warm blanket watching your favorite TV show is the best part of the evening. What makes it better is a plate of piping hot munchies and a cup of tea.
Snacks and oily food is almost synonymous. For us Bengalis “tele bhaja” (deep fried) snacks is the bottom line of a good evening chit chatting. As some say Bengalis live to eat and not eat to live. But, with the raising heart diseases cutting on the oil is a must.
I prepared these ground chicken fritters a few days back for an evening appetizer come snack. Baking them in stead of deep frying was the only way to cut on the calories. But, whoo they came out so well. The taste and texture was just like the deep fried ones, but yet you don’t have to die for guilt. It was an instant hit.
Baked Minced Meat Fritters
- 16 oz ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chili, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2-3 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt to taste
- Cooking spray
- Wash the ground chicken properly. Boil the washed chicken with 2-3 cups of water till well done. In a bowl add the cornflour with 4-5 tablespoon water to make a runny mixture. Preheat the oven to 400 degree Fareheit.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan, throw in the chopped onions, green chili and the boiled chicken. Add the spices and season with salt. Stir fry till the chicken seems to be a little dry.
- Cool down the chicken and make around 12 balls, flatten both sides by pressing in between your palms.
- Dip it in cornflour and then roll the balls on breadcrumbs. Repeat the process for each ball twice.
- arranges the breadcrumb coated balls on a baking tray, spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes turning the sides once or twice in between.
- Serve hot with chopped onions and tomato sauce.
Hot Tips- You can fry these fritters too in stead of baking like I have made the macher vada. You can also replace the ground chicken with ground beef, mutton or turkey.