Follow me on Twitter. Fan us on Facebook . Visit my Flickr photostream. You can alsoSubscribe to BengaliCuisine by Email
Kolkata is raging with heat waves. Not a drop of rain since a little shower last week. The mercury is rising every day, and it has become quite a tough job to keep the body cool. Choosing a meal that would keep the body in good health and also pamper your taste buds is definitely hard.
A healthy diet is very important to keep up with this heat, and to make the food least spicy is another crucial step. Alike winter summers to have its own set of vegetables flooding the markets. I love the small raw pumpkins during this time of the year. The only preparation I have ever tasted with green pumpkin though is this one. The fresh and green taste of the cilantros along with the softness of the green pumpkin makes this simple preparation a good treat. This particular recipe was inherited by mom from her mom.
If you know any other recipes of raw pumpkin please do let us know.
- Raw Pumpkin (Kacha Kumro): 1 medium size, 300-400gms approx
- Potatoes (Alu): 2/3, cut into 2” squares
- Coriander leaf (Dhane pata):
- Nigella (Kalo jeera): 1 teaspoon
- Ginger paste (Ada bata): 1 ½ tablespoon
- Turmeric powder (Halud guro): ½ teaspoon
- Green chili (Kancha lanka): 3/ 4
- Mustard oil (Sarser tel): 2 ½ tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Cut the pumpkin in 2” size square without peeling the coat
- Heat oil in a wok, and throw in the nigella seeds
- Add the potatoes and green pumpkin, cook covered without pouring water, add salt
- Once the pumpkin is half cooked put turmeric powder, ginger paste and the coriander paste
- Cook uncovered, pour some water if required
- Take out of flame and serve hot with rice
If you like this post, please consider linking to it or sharing it with others. I’ll love to hear your comments too. You can also Subscribe to BengaliCuisine by Email, or Subscribe in a reader