Fish had always been my love at the dining table. Fish of all types and fish of all kinds does always bring that extra smile to my face. This is the reason why I am just enjoying my stay here in Bengal. I feel that it is for all Bengalis wherever they are, fish is the best way to end the meal. My mom used to cook a very simple but the most delicious fish curry, when I used to go to school. I still like that fish curry. Here it is for all you readers. To tell you one simple trick to make this curry a bit more spicy, cook it with any kind of fresh fish brought from the market that same day.
Fish (Maach): 4 pieces
Potato (Aalu): 2 , cut like finger chips
Onion (Peyaj): 1small, chopped finely
Turmeric powder (Halud guro): 1/2 teaspoon
Chilli powder (Sukno lankar guro): 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder (jira guro): 1 teaspoon
Mustard oil (Sarser tel): 2 tablespoons
Bay leaf (Tej pata): 2
Salt to taste
- Half fry the fish pieces, potatoes separately and keep aside.
- Take oil in a wok and sauté the onions, and the bay leaves.
- Add all the spices to the sautéd onions and fry a bit.
- Add 2 cups of water and to it add the fried potatoes.
- Cook the broth till it starts boiling and then add the fish pieces, take care so that those do not break.
- Cook till the potatoes get fully cooked.
- Serve with rice and enjoy eating.
I prepared this dish with Rohu (rui maach), you can do the same with any fleshy fish.