Winter is almost over, and so are the winter vegetables. Even though you get all vegetables all year through but to have one during its original time of harvest means a lot to me. Capsicum is one of them. I love capsicum. The subtle taste of chili in capsicum and of course its smell drives me crazy.
Potato with capsicum is a very North Indian dish. But, it feels great to have this rich and spicy curry in a cold winter evening. You can pair it with chapatis or parathas, or just have it with warm white rice and dal.
Alu Capsicum Tarkari
- 1 large potato
- 1 capsicum
- ½ of medium size onion
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Chop the potato and capsicum to one inch size pieces.
- Heat oil in a wok, add the cumin seeds, as the seeds start sputtering throw onions and fry till they turn translucent, 1-2mins.
- Add the potatoes and toss to coat the oil
- Add the turmeric and chili powder, season with salt. Fry for 1-2 minutes till the spices turn a shade darker
- Pour in water and cook covered till the potatoes are half done. Add the capsicum now and cook till the vegetables are cooked.