Fan us on Facebook . You can also Subscribe to BengaliCuisine by Email
I am a big proponent of breakfast. I love to pamper myself with large lavish breakfast, so whenever I travel my first criterion to choose a hotel is they have a good breakfast bar. My choice for breakfast always include bread and eggs and when they come together there nothing stopping me. Be it the humble bread butter with a side of poached eggs or the Indian style spicy French toast – I love them all. So, when I saw this photo on Pinterest for a French toast roll up, I just had to have it.
I used cream cheese and strawberries for the filling, but to say the least, the options are unending. You can try it with cream cheese and chocolate chips, or nutella and raspberries or the American favorite peanut butter and jam.
Try out these easy to make French roll ups and comment on what you used for the filling.
Strawberries and Cream Cheese French Roll Up Toast
- 6 large sandwich bread
- 2 large eggs
- 4-5 strawberries, hulled and cut to bite size pieces
- 6 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ cup refined sugar
- Cooking spray for frying
- Take the crust out of the breads, and flatten them with a rolling pin. Beat the eggs in a spread out bowl
- To one side of the bread spread the cream cheese and top it with a good amount of strawberries
- Mix the cinnamon powder with the sugar and spread on a plate. Spray the cooking oil on a frying pan
- Roll the bread, and dip in the beaten eggs and place the rolled up bread on the frying pan.
- Fry the roll up till they are golden brown on all sides, roll on the cinnamon sugar and serve immediately
Cook like a Bong http://bengalicuisine.net/
Follow me on Twitter. Add me as a friend on Facebook . Visit my Flickr photostream.
“An Egg today is better than a Hen tomorrow.”
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Yesterday, we started the series Breakfast with Eggs Recipes. Today, we’ll present French Toast (Part 1 was Mughlai Paratha).
French toast is a very popular breakfast in the Western world, but with globalization, French toast has become a part of our cuisine too, albeit with some variations. A little research on the web revealed some interesting facts about the dish.
The French toast made in Europe and America contains milk along with eggs as one of the main ingredients for soaking the bread slices. They even use cinnamon, granulated sugar as addendum, and have it with Maple or any other syrup. Here’s a googly – French toast isn’t necessarily of French origin. It finds its earliest mention in a 4th century Roman cookbook – Apicius. Frying the day old stale bread solved the problem for unappetizing crunchy bread. The book, apparently, is arranged in a manner similar to modern cookbooks.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
- Milk bread (Pauruti): 4-6 slices
- Eggs (Dim): 3
- Onion (Peyaj): 1 medium size, chopped into small pieces
- Green chili (Kacha Lanka): 2, finely chopped
- Sunflower oil (Sada tel) for frying
- Salt to taste
- Cut the bread slices diagonally and keep aside
- Break the eggs into a wide, shallow plate along with chopped onion, chilies and salt, beat well with a fork
- Place the bread slices , one at a time, letting the egg to soak in, turn the slices around to soak the other side also
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the egg soaked slices till golden brown on both sides
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or green chutney
Hot tip: To reduce the calorie intake, you can use brown bread instead of milk bread.
Further reading – French toast, Wiki, Cheftalk, Baked French toast
French toast on way to NTTC#5 event hosted by Sneh of Gel’s Kitchen.
If you like this post, please consider linking to it or sharing it with others. I’ll love to hear your comments too. You can also Subscribe to BengaliCuisine by Email, or Subscribe in a reader