Rogan josh is one of the most popular recipes of the Kashmiri cuisine, though its origin is from the Persian kitchen. It is mainly made with lamb or mutton, but nowadays even chicken or vegetarian versions are also available in the restaurants. This recipe is characterized by its brilliant red color. The Kashmiri red chili powder is mainly used to get this red color, but in traditional version of the recipe dried flowers or roots of Alkanet is also used and even saffron strands.
Saffron Road Food had sent me some of their simmer sauces to try out, and a rogan josh simmer sauce was one of them. The recipe was written in details, and was very easy to make. I made it with boneless chicken and put in some veggies – carrots, potatoes and bell pepper in it too. To make this rogan josh all I had to do was to fry the washed boneless chicken pieces in oil till they were soft, put in the thinly sliced vegetables and toss for 2-3 minutes. Then just added the simmer sauce and let it cook for 4-5 minutes more and that it restaurant style rogan josh was ready in less than 15 minutes.
Most simmer sauces from other companies, which I have tried contains their own signature smell, probably because of a particular ingredient in them, but the simmer sauces from Saffron Road Food was perfect and the finished product tasted just like it should taste if you had made it from scratch. They also have simmer sauces for Mororccan Tagine, Tikka Masala and Lemongrass Basil and they were equally good. These simmer sauces are perfect for bachelors, who have no idea where to start from in the kitchen and also for families for a busy week night or a lazy weekend.
I am very glad to announce that Saffron Road Food has agreed to sponsor this month’s giveaway. All the 4 simmer sauces can be yours. Just follow the rules below and two lucky winners will receive 4 different simmer sauces from Saffron Road Food.
Rules for the giveaway:1. Eligible to all legal residents of USA. 2. Visit the Saffron Road Food website and leave a comment here saying which product you loved most. 3. Like Saffron Road Food and Cook Like a Bong Facebook pages if you have not already liked it.
I will use a random number generator to choose two winners from those who have commented in this post.
Here’s my take on rogan josh.
- 2 lbs lamb or mutton
- 1/4 cup whole milk yogurt
- 2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 5 cardamom pods
- 6-8 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 mace
- 1 medium size onion, made to paste
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 5 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt to taste
- Mix the lamb or mutton with yogurt, ginger garlic paste, onion paste, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well, put in a ziplock pouch and keep in the refrigerator for atleast 2 hours and not more than 8 hours.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom wok, add the garlic cloves,whole spices and the marinaded lamb or mutton. Fry till the spices change to a darker color and the marinade dries out. Keep stirring so that it doesn\'t stick to the bottom
- Reduce the flame to medium, pour in 2 cups of warm water and simmer for 45minutes, or transfer to a pressure cooker and wait till two whistles.
- Wait till you attain the deserve consistency of the gravy, add more water if required. Sprinkle the garam masala and serve hot with basmati rice or naan.