If you’re a bachelor, chances are that you like spending the minimum amount of time in the kitchen. If that’s the case, this paneer recipe is just for you. [Here’re some more quick Indian recipes – Microwave Fried rice and Breakfast with egg series].
For this preparation, I bought fresh paneer from sweet shop. You can also use the packaged paneer or even try making some paneer (chana, chenna) at home.
Easy way of making Paneer at home
Boil a liter of milk, and pour 4 tablespoons of lime juice in it. Separate the curd from the whey. Put the curd in a soft cloth, preferably muslin and drain out the excess water.
While the cheese is inside the cloth, place it over a perforated metal can or box and place a heavy weight over it so that the cheese gets firmer and any extra water gets drained out. The more you press it, the harder it becomes.Preparation time: 10min Cooking time: 10min Serves: 3-4
How to make Paneer Bhurji (Paneer Jhuri Bhaja)
- Indian cheese (paneer): 300gms
- Potato (Aalu): 2 medium sizes
- Green peas (Matar, Mator shuti): ½ cup
- Tomato (Tamatar): 1 small, coarsely chopped
- Turmeric powder (Haldi Powder, Halud guro): ½ teaspoon
- Chili powder (Lal Mirch Powder, Lal lankar guro): ¾ teaspoon
- Green chili (Hari Mirch, Kancha lanka): 2 -3 (optional)
- Ginger paste (Adrakh paste, Ada bata): 1 tablespoon
- Sunflower oil (Sada tel): 3 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Slice the potatoes into thin two inch long pieces, wash and drain out the water
- Grate the paneer in a grater. Alternately if you are using fresh curd cheese then just press with your palm to make it fluffy
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, and throw in the potatoes
- As the potatoes get half cooked, add all the spices, tomato, peas and mix well
- Cook for 2-3 mins more and pour in the grated paneer
- Mix and cook for 2-3min more
- Take out of flame and serve with roti, paratha or rice and dal
How to make Paneer Bhurji in Microwave
You can make the same paneer bhurji in microwave as well. Put in 2 tablespoons of oil and potatoes and cook covered for 4 min in microwave high (100%). Mix all the spices, tomato, peas and cook uncovered in microwave high for 2mins. Add the grated paneer and cook uncovered in microwave high for 3 more minutes.
Further Reading – Bengali Style Matar Paneer, How to make paneer
Personal Note: Kalyan had been doing a lot of cooking these days. Thanks to his cook, who has gone back to his native for a fortnight, or probably a little more. Office, cooking, phone calls from home and time for his girl friend – takes away a lot of time, leaving almost nothing for his own personal leisure. So, I thought of suggesting him a quick and easy recipe for dinner. I could have done it just by getting him a call or personal mail. But, I’m sure there are hundreds of bachelors or even spinsters who frantically search for some quick and easy recipes for beginners.
If you like this post, please consider linking to it or sharing it with others. I’ll love to hear your comments too. You can also Subscribe to BengaliCuisine by Email, or Subscribe in a reader
18 thoughts on “Paneer Bhurji for Bachelors”
Turned out great! Although I did add a whole red onion. This dish is a killer 🙂
Easy Paneer Bhurji love dis:)
hey paneer burji looks so good and tasty..
that our quick fix use of curdled milk, we mostly have it sandwitched in 2 pcs of bread. lovely recipe.
oh! it is so good
wow! it is so good!
I’m sure this would be of immense help to those looking for quick and easy vegetarian recipe. Thanks much.
Very good idea. I think I will start a section on this.
The dish looks awesome. Anyone who makes this is unlikely to remain a bachelor for long 🙂
Funny both of us replied simultaneously. 🙂
Kalyan calling Kalyan…. I think that I should put a disclaimer that I am not THE Kalyan in Sudeshna’s life. ‘A’ Kalyan at the most ;0
The ‘less haired’ one?
Then there will be a confusion again 😀
Don’t even name that KCK disaster. It was a torture last Friday, which I had to go through because of my friends. I can’t remember the last time I saw such a predictable movie.
Despite the profile pics?
Can’t be worse than Teen Patti. I could have thrown some BT Brinjals at the screen
1. How to lessen confusion: already pics are diff, so no trouble.
2. Less hairy: i’ve started loosing ’em way back in 2007 http://bit.ly/bLPA7u
3. BT Brinjal: think before you malign the exotic vegetable: http://bit.ly/cmpXyQ