High Calorie and Weight Gain
Festive season brings cheers, laughter and rendezvous with family and friends. It also brings High calorie foods and weight gain. The last month being the time for merriment and holidays, I’m sure most of you have put on some weight [due to the booze, the sloth, the endless party nibbles says this Telegraph article]. Most likely, you have made a New Year resolution (oh that annual word!) to have low calories healthy diet at least for next 2 months.
The rich and spicy food during the vacations calls for a month of non-spicy, non-greasy yet tasty food. Lets mark the next 1 month where we cook (and write about) Salads.
The Salad Carnival
In the next 30 days, lets write about Salads. Any type of Salad – green, entrée, barbecue, fruit salads. You can also write about Raitas of any type – mixed, cucumber, fruits, boondi, or something different.
Rules for Participation
- Write about a salad on your blog between now and 14th February 2010 with a link back to this event announcement. I’ll be glad if you use the event logo, it’s optional though.
- Subscribe by email to this blog. Or, become a Fan at the Facebook page of Cook Like a Bong. Thanks in advance. 🙂 [Controversial I know. So, testing]
- The salad may be vegan, vegetarian or non-vegetarian.
- If you have any archived post that you want to send, please update the post with the link to this event. No need to repost.
- It is better if you can cite the type of salad that you have prepared, eg: green, entrée, barbecue, fruit salads
- Please send in an image of the prepared recipe in jpeg format not more than 300X300pixels
- Send in the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject as “Carnival of Salads”
- Your Preferred name:
- Name of salad:
- Type of salad:
- URL of your blog: (In case you don’t have a blog, you can give any of your URL e.g. twitter, facebook/orkut/myspace profile etc)
- URL of the post:
- Image of the prepared recipe:
- Those of you, who don’t have a blog, please feel free to email your recipes to the id above. Your recipe will be published at the time of round-up with due credit to you.
Most Popular Salad Video
Famous Los Angeles based restaurant chain Carl’s Jr has recently launched their new line of grilled chicken salad. Guess who’s featured in the ad? The sultry seductress Kim Kardashian. No prizes for guessing the reason. With close to 2 million views in just 3 weeks, its got to be the most popular salad video ever. Cranberry Apple Walnut Chicken Salad:
Etymology of Salad
‘Salad’ derives its name probably from the Latin word “sal” meaning salt, which was one of the important ingredients of salad. Wiki says that salads were probably eaten by the ancient Greeks and Romans even two thousand years ago. Though, most people avoided salads because of disease contamination from raw vegetables. Salads started growing in popularity during the 18th and 19th centuries with the emergence of various salad bars.
Types of Salad
Salads on the basis of their ingredients, dressing and the way they are made can be differentiated into various types. The very popular ones being the Ceasar salad, Greek salad, Italian chopped salad. Ms. Shulman wrote on the New York Times about five different salads which are a little different from the regular ones, the main ingredients being grains, beans, potatoes and eggs.
Whats your favourite salad?
We would love to hear more about salads from you, if you want then please share your thoughts and any related incidents with salads. You can put in a comment here or mail us at email@example.com .
Further Reading – All About Salads, Salad Recipes, How to avoid gaining weight during Christmas Holidays
By the way, do you know any Bengali Salad?