With the first rain drop, the thing that comes to the mind of all Bengalis all over the world is Ilish. This salt water fish that comes to lay eggs in fresh water is a delicacy among all fish lovers. Today is a special recipe for this special fish. Though we call it Ilisher Bhaape, but the name I have given is from a seven-star hotel menu card, that makes you think what actually it is. The preparation is very simple and the whole cooking takes maximum 15 minutes.
Hilsa (Ilish): 6 pieces
Mustard seed (sarse): 2 tablespoons
Poppy seed (posto): 2 tablespoons
Green chilli (kacha lanka): 6/7
Mustard oil (sarser tel): 3 tablespoon
Turmeric powder (Haluder guro): 3 piches
Salt to taste
- Make a paste of mustard and poppy seeds along with 2 /3 chillies.
- Wash the fish pieces well, take them in a shallow microwave bowl.
- Add salt, turmeric powder to the mustard and poppy paste.
- Mix the paste to the fish well and pour the oil over it, also add the remaining chillies.
- Microwave for 5 / 6 minutes at 800watts (microwave high), in between check whether the fish has become soft and the mustard smell is coming out or not.
- Serve hot with rice , and enjoy this great delicacy.